Friday, March 6, 2015

I am a grown up

To me, being an adult doesn't always mean having a degree and working a full time job. Being an adult is not the same for everyone because some people can't do all of those things. To me, the meaning of adulthood is really only about one thing, priorities. Sure, I could get a job and take classes at the university, but by doing that I'd be letting myself slip away. For someone like me, who has serious chronic illness, my life is about taking care of my body, doing what I can, and spending time with the people I love. Yes I could pick up a full load of classes and go for my dream degree. But then I'd have to miss my cytoxan infusions that put me down for the count hugging my toilet bowl for a week. So instead of doing that, I choose to knit hats for charity and read classic novels because those are things I can do in my situation. (I digress) to me, being a grown up is taking care of the most pressing issue at any given time. And for me, that is my illness. It's a matter of importance. If I blow off my health to get a degree right now, chances are I won't be ali e to use that facet piece of paper.
Something I hear a a lot is "but don't you feel like your life isn't going anywhere" which is not only offensive, but just plan not true. Im Taking care of myself by  taking it easy until i am well. I suggest you look at your priority a before you question mine 

No comments:

Post a Comment